The pandemic has affected our Club, as it has affected every other part of life. Here are some random notes about what this has meant for divers, dive operators and our club.
Some members are understandably uncomfortable about getting on a boat where social distancing is difficult. Shore dives have become popular since the pandemic started and once you have access to full equipment including tanks and weights, it's a good option. Shore diving does have its risks - shore break, cramp from a long swim, unexpected current, jet-skis and changing weather. But once you have a good plan, some experienced buddies and good backup, it's a reasonable choice.
The island's dive operators have all taken a big hit. When you do dive with them or rent equipment, pay a good tip. They've given us low rates and great service in the good times, so let's play a part to help them through these toughest of times.
We've had to dial back the after-dive gatherings (the "limes"). Sharing bowls of snacks and dips was par for the course along with close social mingling, but that's not a good idea anymore. We still have limes but bring your own drinks and snacks (unless someone generously offers) and it's not bad manners if you don't share. Wear a mask between bites.
The structure of BADASSn has had to adapt as key members left the island. The decision was made to disband the committee at the end of September 2020 and suspend the club's constitution. Consequently, the Club is now a loose social group. Here's what this means in practice:
- We still charge a joining fee for new members but there are no annual membership fees, so if you've ever been a member of BADASSn, you can dive with us! We just need you to let us know so we can add you to the cub email so we can keep you in the loop.
- We need members to make dives happen. Ideally we need volunteers to schedule dives, but until someone steps up to that position, members will need to communicate and agree to host dives and other events on an ad hoc basis.
- Our email system is working and available to any member that wants to dive with us. You just need to use the 'Contact Us' button that appears at the bottom of any page on our website and we can add you. This email is a service we have to pay for by subscriber, so we will unsubscribe anyone we believe to be inactive.
- Likewise our Facebook page is useful to keep in touch.
- To keep our website, email etc. running, Tom has agree to keep an eye on the IT and Sue will keep an eye on the accounts for the time being.